Wednesday, October 3, 2007

My Blog 2 Question

What is the difference between prosocial behaviour and altruism? Does genuine altruism exist? Discuss in relation to social psychological aspects of evolutionary theory and related research.

The question above is the question I have chosen to research for my 2nd blog. I've chosen this topic because I believe in altruism as I think I am an altruistic person myself and others have shown altruism toward me. The research I have read on so far has illustrated that there is in-fact a fine line between prosocial behaviour and altruistic behaviour. The textbook uses two terms that help to draw the line between prosocial behaviour and altruism. Egoistic helping is when the helper wants something in return for whatever he/she has done. Therefore the main goal of the helper is to increase his/her own welfare. Altruistic helping however, is when the helper expects nothing in return for their help given. Therefore the goal of the altruistic helper is to increase the welfare of another. Research has shown that the emotion empathy plays a role in altruistic helping. The logic here is that when people feel sadness for someone else they are more likely to help the person in need so that thay do not feel sad for this perticular person anymore.
What is interesting about this, "Does genuine altruism exist?" debate is that some people do not believe that this altruistic helping is not genuine altruism because they believe that one way or another, by helping another out they are making themselves feel better or that their act of generousity looks good back on them, hence, increasing their own welfare. I think this genuine altruism debate will be extremely difficult to answer, but I look forward to doing more readings on this topic to further investigate the true definition of genuine altruism. That all for now. Happy Blogging.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hi Sam :)

Thanks for your comment on my page! Your question does look like it will be a tricky one. As much as i would like to believe that genuine altruistic behaviour exists, i can definately understand the argument against it's existence. Is there ever truely an unselfish act?

I have supported a little girl in South America for a little over a year now (World vision)! On one side of things i would like to think this was just an act of kindness out of empathy for her situation. I hate thinking about what they don't have and how much money i have...and waste on rubbish! (It costs the same amount to support her for a month, as i use to spend on good old trash mags!)Anyway...getting side tracked.

On the other side, i can also view my behaviour as self-centred. Perhaps i was not motivated by the consequences of my actions on her life. Perhaps i was motivated by the consequences that I directly experienced. E.g. I was happy that i was doing something to help people. My social conscience was appeased a little. Bad feelings about doing nothing were replaced with better feelings.

Well, this little rant has turned out to be a little longer than i expected! It's a really good topic! I hope you find that altruistic behaviour exists! I guess it depends on what motivates you into action.....maybe you could look at some of the theories we have used in motivational psyche....or even learning....what increases the likelihood of a behaviour occuring again?

Just a thought :) Catch you later!